Variety: Pinot Noir
Country Region: France, Burgundy, Cote-de-Nuits
Comes mostly from vines planted in 1947 in Champ Forey (80%) to the east of the village with the other 20% coming from vines in Chambolle Musigny. In 2019 vintage the fruit from Champ Forey will be labelled Marsannay, so this will be the last year we are able to source this volume of beautiful old vines fruit. The fruit is hand-picked and 100% de-stemmed and fermented in stainless steel to produce a fresh, vibrant style. The palate shows a generosity and depth rare for this level. Ripe, stylish and beautifully balanced for enjoyment now. Very limited.
Created in 1987, the Marsannay Villages appellation is a relatively new one in Burgundy but an ancient and well respected source of fine wine. Located on the southern outskirts of Dijon at the northern end of the Cote de Nuits, Marsannay missed out when the first Villages appellations were handed out in 1930. But it wasn't because the terroir was deemed inferior. It was simply that there was very little Chardonnay or Pinot Noir planted.
The terroir of Marsannay is based on the same complex Jurassic limestone-based geology that runs the entire length of the Cote d'Or. But for the previous hundred years or more, Marsannay's winemakers had been focused on the growing suburban population of Dijon. A task made much more commercially successful with wines made from Aligote and Gamay.
The Collottes have been grape growers in Marsannay for four generations, but it wasn't until 1981 that a young, 16 year-old Philippe Collotte bottled the first wine under the name of Domaine Collotte. He subsequently purchased some mature vineyards of about 40 years of age in both Gevrey-Chambertin and Chambolle-Musigny, to further expand the domaine's repertoire.
In 2013 Philippe was joined by his daughter Isabelle, who had just completed her viticulture and oenology studies at the Lycee Viticole de Beaune. Whilst Isabelle focuses particularly on the production of the domaine's white wines, there is no doubt that her addition to the team has helped refine the quality of the wines across the board. Today Domaine Collotte farms 17ha of vines (16ha currently in production) in Marsannay, Fixin, Gevrey-Chambertin and Chambolle-Musigny.
This a source of accomplished, stylish and very attractively priced Burgundy.